Here’s another great saxophone solo transcription from a Youtube video that I started working on this morning. This is another great solo from the terrific tenor sax player, Danny Walsh (I’ve already transcribed a couple other solos by him). Danny Walsh is an amazing NYC saxophone player that many people may not know about but is definitely worth checking out!
This whole gig, in the Youtube video below, sticks out to me because the setlist is primarily tunes we would all play on a typical gig. Cold Duck Time, Wave, Our Love is Here to Stay, The Way You Look Tonight, Masquerade, etc……. I find it fascinating to hear a player of Danny’s calibre playing these common tunes that we probably have all played on gigs and just tearing them to shreds. The other thing that I love is how effortless Danny looks while soloing on the sax. He’s playing these intense lines but looking like he’s playing Mary Had a Little Lamb or something. Not a drip of sweat or sign of effort, it just seems like it is flowing out of him effortlessly. I love that!
Danny Walsh-Tenor Saxophone
If you have never heard of Danny Walsh before, check out his CD and any future projects he plays on!
Full Gig Video-This Masquerade Solo starts at 38:07
The entire solo is only 17 measures long but they are action packed! I love how Danny mixes up the blues scale sound with altered lines to take it “outside”. Great solo!! Enjoy!
This Masquerade-Danny Walsh Solo Clip
This is Danny Walsh’s last recording. Check it out!!
If you like these types of modern lines like I do, be sure to check out my jazz video lessons and books for some great resources! Here are just a few on a variety of modern improvisation topics. I have 11 jazz improvisation books out now and over 500 30 minute+ video and audio lessons to choose from…….. Steve
- Altered Dominant Substitutions-Lesson 1
- Altered Dominant Substitutions-Lesson 2
- Altered Dominant Substitutions-Lesson 3
- Chord Substitution Lesson 2-The Tritone Lesson
- Chord Substitutions-Lesson 1
- Devastating Minor Lines Lesson 1
- Devastating Minor Lines Lesson 2
- Devastating Minor Lines Lesson 3
- Devastating Minor Lines Lesson 4
- II-V-I Altered Scale Mastery-Lesson 1
- Minor Chord Substitution Lines Lesson
- Minor ii-7b5-V7b9 Substitution Lesson 1
- Modern Minor 6th Pentatonic Lines Lesson
- Playing Outside-3 Tonic Chromaticism Lesson
- Playing Outside-4 Note Pentatonic Cells Lesson
- Playing Outside-Altered Pentatonics Lesson 1
- Playing Outside-Chromaticism 1 Lesson
- Playing Outside-Random Note Lesson
- Playing Outside-Shifting Pentatonics Lesson
- Playing Outside-The Major Minor Blues Scale Lesson 1
Here’s some reviews:
- I’ve been downloading your lessons for 4 months now (20 lesson) and I have noticed tremendous growth in my playing thus far! I’m so happy that I stumbled upon your site!
- I have been shedding your materials for quite a while now and I love them! They are extremely well organized and presented and there are tons of ‘em! I really appreciate your methodical approach and find myself referring students to your resources often. Thanks so much!
- I’ve been a member of Steve’s site for about six months now and the difference it has made to my playing is immeasurable. The (many) benefits of this membership are that you can have lessons at time convenient to you, they work out A LOT cheaper than face-to-face lessons with a teacher of the same calibre and you can replay them ad infinitum. I don’t know how many times have I had lessons in the past where I’ve ended up covering the same concepts when really a ‘replay’ of the last lesson would have been fine! I’m not on commission here – just wanted to write a review to encourage people to do this. Without doubt the most time and cost effective investment I’ve made in taking my playing to where it should be…Cheers Steve.