40 Michael Brecker Licks

I have written out 40 great Michael Brecker licks that I have picked up and used over the years.  Last week I cleaned them up and numbered them so they are easier to read.  I give these out to my more advanced students who want to start getting into this stuff.  I went through a stage in the late 80’s and early 90’s where I was consumed with Michael Brecker. I had never heard a tenor player with such authority or command of the horn. I’m sad that he is gone.  He has left an incredible legacy with all his recordings. I’ll always be grateful for the impact and influence he has had on my life.

These licks can be used in a variety of ways. Most of them are just plain chromatic patterns, some are over a minor tonality, some outline more of a 3 tonic kind of approach(Giant Steps…). I usually will talk with  students in person on how to use these but for all of you out there in cyber-space I have created some video lesson to talk about how to use these in your own playing.  You can find the lessons at my Neffmusic Lesson Store. These are great to get under your fingers. I hope you like them.  If you want to get more into the Brecker style of playing I would recommend buying as many recordings as you can of him. Hal Leonard also has a few transcription books out of his solos.  There are also some great sites out there with free transcriptions that you can find if you search around for them.   Steve

To get the 40 Brecker licks for FREE, you can just sign up for my Neffmusic mailing list on the top left of this site.  You will then receive an email with a link to download the PDF shortly afterward.   Enjoy!

Share : Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on GooglePlusShare on LinkedinShare on Pinterest
Steve About Steve

Steve Neff has been playing and teaching saxophone and jazz improvisation around the New England area for the last 25 years. He is the author of many effective jazz improvisation methods as well as founding the popular jazz video lesson site Neffmusic.com.

Comments

1. Hans Baier says:

Where are the licks?
    Cant find them on the page

2. Hi Hans, The plugin that handled downloads is broke for some reason. I put the 40 Brecker links in my mailing list sign up form so if you sign up for the mailing list at the top left of the page you will get an email with a link to the PDF. Thanks, Steve

3. ashim bora says:

Can you please send me the brecker file? Thanks

4. Ashim, You can get the Brecker licks when you sign up for my mailing list on the top left of this blog. Steve

5. Andres Galllego says:

Can you please send me the brecker file? Thanks

6. Andres, you can get the Brecker licks by signing up for my newsletter on the top left of the site. Steve

7. Scott Taylor says:

Hi, Steve;

First of all, thanks for doing the leg work on Brecker. I was skeptical at first when I downloaded the file because they just looked like chromatic sequences…then I realized that was the point. I’m guessing you took some common Brecker four note groupings and extended them for study? Regardless, they sound cool and are a great workout. Thanks again for the effort!

Scott (aka Neobard, SOTW)

8. Ashim Bohara says:

I have signed up for the mailing list. Can I get the brecker file please?

9. You should have received an email in response to signing up. In the email is a link to download the Brecker licks……..Let me know if you didn’t get it. (Make sure you check your spam and junk folder also as sometimes the emails go there……)

10. Fred dubousquet says:

i would like get 40 Brecker links for free…
    Thanks a lot

11. Fred, Just sent them. Steve

12. JEAN PIERRE CRESCENCE says:

Can you please send me the brecker file? Thanks

13. Mariano Mauro says:

Can you please send me the file? Thanks a lot

14. Mariano,
    You can get the 40 Brecker licks when you sign up for my Neffmusic Newsletter. You get an email with a link on it to download them. Thanks, Steve

15. Jean Pierre, You can get the files by signing up for the Neffmusic mailing list. A link comes through email afterwards so you can download the licks. Steve

16. NumbernWen says:

nice

17. I would like the 40 Michael Breacker licks pdf. Bb , thanks alot

18. Morris, To get the 40 Brecker licks you just have to sign up for the newsletter and then you get sent a link to download them. Thanks, Steve

19. Hi Steve ,
    I have joined up to the mailing list but not received the Brecker licks..
    I have the mastering the Bebop dominant scale book of yours .. very good .
    Regards
    Ste

20. Ste,
    Thanks for joining the mailing list. I just sent them to you. Steve

21. Hello Steve, i would like get 40 Brecker links. Can you pleas send file to me. Thank you.

22. jerry jones says:

looking for 40 licks…….thanks

23. Joseph Dearani says:

HI Steve,

Happy Thanksgiving. Really love all the stuff you put out there. I was hoping to view the Brecker licks…have signed up but still not able to do. Happy T to you and your family.

Joe

24. Hi Steve,

i laready signed up for quite some tiime on your newsletter. However i havent received the Brecker likcks yet. Could you send them to me please?
    Many many thanks for this!

cheers Jeroen

25. Hi Steve, i would like get 40 Brecker licks.
    Would you send the file to me, please?. Thank you.

26. vinzenzo1 says:

Can I get the licks as well or are they on the site somewhere that I did not find, by the way happy new year to you. Vinny

27. perry_89 says:

Hi Steve, i can’t sign up to the list. there’re a problem with the webpage.
    How i can get the filewith licks?
    regards,
    antonio

28. Hi Antonio,
    Not sure why you had a problem, I put your email in and it accepted it fine on my end. You should have received the Brecker licks by now. Enjoy!

29. Teboho Motsiri says:

Hi Steve

I have just subscribed in mailing list could you please send me the licks. Thanks

teboho

30. Teboho, they should have been sent automatically. A link should be in the email you received confirming your joining the mailing list………..

31. Hi, I tried to subscribe but the page of the security code crashes every time i try, how can i get the licks?

32. Matt.
    I put your email into the subscribe box and then entered the CAPTCHA code and it worked fine for me. You should be getting an email with a link to download the Brecker licks shortly. I’m not sure what you were experiencing or why. Sorry for that. Steve

33. Hi Steve. Thanks for the Brecker Licks. I have had them for some time and have been working on them as well as my own stuff. Do you recommend to your students to transpose them into all keys? Obviously the chromatic ones should just be ok because they can be stopped and started at will. But what about the others. Just curious.
    Thanks
    Ross

34. Hi Ross,
    Transposing is up to you. I would certainly consider that for the lines you really love! The chromatic lines don’t need to be transposed but I would make sure you practice those throughout the entire range of the horn. Steve

35. Hi Steve, i would like get 40 Brecker licks.
    Would you send the file to me, please?. God bless you

36. Hi Nathan,
    If you sign up for the newsletter a link is sent to you so that you can download the licks. Steve

37. Charles Spellen says:

Hi Steve and fellow Brecker admirers,
    This is a great initiative with the Brecker licks.
    What is the possibility of relating them to a chord reference? For example what chords do I play lick 1 over?
    Looking forward to any comments or help on this perspective.
    Charles in the Brazilian Amazon.

38. Charles, I have made some video lessons where I do teach where and how to use these licks. They are called The Style of Michael Brecker Lessons and I believe they are Lessons 3-6 of that series. Steve

39. Steve, I like your site alot. Signed up to your mailing list. Would be great to receive the Brecker licks. Thank you, Christoph

40. I never received my link to the file for signing up either for some reason.

41. steven koskowitz says:

hey, I would like to have those Breckerism in C . All the best

42. Just signed up Can’t wait to get my Free 40 Brecker Licks!