12 Blues Scales Sheet

Here’s a free sheet I give to all my students after they learn their major scales. It’s just a sheet with all the 12 Blues Scales on it.

When I teach my students to use the blues scale I teach them to try to move off the #4 note quickly when playing. Many student who are new to improvising will land on the #4 and just sit on it without resolving it. This is a great note because there’s tension to it but tension sounds best when you hear it resolve. For example, if I’m using the A blues scale and play an Eb many times you will hear me resolve it to E or to D which in most cases are more pleasing notes to the ear. It’s good to practice each blues scale to it’s corresponding minor chord but also to it’s relative major chord. Ex. A blues scale- practice this over an A minor and a C Major chord. There is slight variations in how you use this scale depending on the harmony behind it.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD ->   12-blues-scales

For more information and licks using the blues scales check out my two books on Mastering the Blues Scales.  There are tons of great sound lines and licks in these two books!

BluesCover1SmallMastering the Blues Scale Volume 1-Minor

Blues2CoverSmallMastering the Blues Scale Volume 2-Dominant Chords

I also have tons of lessons in my Neffmusic store on the blues scales and the 12 bar blues both for alto and tenor saxophone.  I always tell my students, “If you can master the blues scale and wail with it………..you are ready for your first gig!”

Share : Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on GooglePlusShare on LinkedinShare on Pinterest
Steve About Steve

Steve Neff has been playing and teaching saxophone and jazz improvisation around the New England area for the last 25 years. He is the author of many effective jazz improvisation methods as well as founding the popular jazz video lesson site Neffmusic.com.

Comments

1. vinzenzo1 says:

Sorry for the inconvenience. I see that now. Vinny

2. vinzenzo1, You just click on the link that says “12 blues scales download” above. After you click on it it should open up in your browser. Then click on “File” at the top of your browser and choose “save as” or “save” to your computer. You can then print them out……….or you can just print them from your browser…….

3. vinzenzo1 says:

I would love to receive them and work on them as I work on my beginning lessons. it might be too much right now due to the fact that I am very new to the Saxophone and do not know my major scales right now, but would love to receive them. Vinny

4. ijsbrand Sorgedrager says:

Hai Steve,
    i would like to receive the 12 blues scale.
    I play baritonsax in a blues band and it would help me a lot in my improvisations.
    Thanks, IJsbrand Sorgedrager, the Netherlands.

5. Thank you so Much! i handed this out to my entire jazz band class!

6. I do have lessons on the pentatonic scales. Just do a search for pentatonic scales in the upper right search bar of this page and the lessons will come up. I have a number of them. Or you can start with the Beginning Improvisation Series for tenor sax and that will get you started with the scales and improvisation. I’m glad you like the site. Steve

7. Ron Statler says:

Steve, I love your website. I was trying to subscribe to your newsletter but it wouldn’t let me. Also I wanted to know it you have lessons on the tenor sax pentatonic blues scales written in treble clef format. I want to start with the Cmaj, Cmin, Fmaj, Fmin, Gmaj, Gmin, Bb maj and Bb min. I will eventually need all of them but I wanted to play along with some blues cd’s I have and needed to know the scales to solo on the 4th chord and turnarounds.

thanks
    Ron Statler

8. Selena Jackson says:

Hi, This really helped my inprov skills! Thank you so very much! I’ve added the scales to my warm up and I’m planing to share it with a few friends of mine. Could you do this for Bebop scales as well?

9. Just right click on the link and “save as” to your desktop.

10. Nick Palise says:

Are these 12 free blues worksheets that will be emailed to me? Thanksing you in advance.

N. Palise